Even though there are many trending social media platforms, Facebook is still effective and used by billions of people across the world. It is an effective platform for advertising especially B2B and B2C marketing.
It helps in connecting and interacting with a wide range of people with different demographics. So, most marketing experts consider Facebook as a budget-friendly solution for advertising products and services.
But are you aware of various features of Facebook that may have an impact on ads? Do you know the ad targeting options of Facebook? In this blog, you will get to know about Facebook ad targeting.
Before jumping into ad targeting, let’s have a look at Facebook ad targeting.
- What Is a Facebook Lookalike Audience and Why Is It Important?
- What is Facebook ad Relevance Score & How to improve it?
Table of Contents
- What are the types of Facebook Audiences?
- What are the factors to Target Faccebook Audience?
- Why Should I Use Facebook Pixel?
- How Do I Target the Right Audience on Facebook?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Types of Facebook Audiences?
It is necessary to generate an audience to succeed in Facebook ads. The Facebook audience is the target to whom you want to reach your ads and market your products and services. Facebook users may vary from each other in their behavior, interests, age, and other demographics.
The task lies in finding the exact audience from Facebook that is relevant to your products and services. Here are steps to create an ‘audience’ on Facebook.
- Go to Ads Manager on Facebook
- Select the shortcut menu on the top left side.
- Now, you will be able to see three options for the audience.
Based on these options, the three types of audience are:
- Custom audiences
- Lookalike audiences
- Saved audiences
A custom audience is a specific group of people that have been considered as the target audience. They are considered a highly converting audience. It usually includes people who visited and interacted with your site or page previously.
When choosing a Custom audience, you have to focus on data sources like websites, Facebook pages, events, and lead forms. Other factors that serve as a data source are offline activity, Instagram business profile, and many more.
To generate a custom audience, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Audience page and click on Create Audience.
- Then click on Create Custom Audience.
- This will show you a page of custom audience options.
- Click on the customer file for a list of numbers and emails. Now you can upload your data or file.
- You have to agree to the terms of Facebook, name the audience, and click Next.
Now you can see the preview of data on Facebook. You will be notified by Facebook as soon as your custom audience is prepared.
You can also work with Facebook Pixel to display ads to people who have already visited your page. This will help you in creating a custom audience in terms of website activity.
A lookalike audience is one of the effective ways of targeting an audience. It is a type of audience which shares similar characteristics with your existing audience. You have to decide the percentage of similarity from 1% to 10% between the older audience and newly targeted ones.
The Facebook algorithm helps in creating lookalike audiences based on varieties of criteria. Due to the substantial amount of data of Facebook users, the algorithm can generate a great lookalike audience. Some of the data sources that help in creating lookalike audiences are engagement from Facebook pages, ads, videos, app activities, etc.
You can follow the steps given below to create a lookalike audience.
- Go to the Audience page and choose to Create Audience.
- Then click on Lookalike Audience.
- Now you can see the options like custom audience and saved audience.
- After choosing any one option, you have to fix the locations, and size of the audience.
A Facebook-saved audience is all about creating, saving, and using it for multiple ad campaigns. This type of audience can be used for future advertisements. Save audiences can be selected as per many factors like interests, locations, and other demographics.
To set up the saved audience, you have to follow the steps below:
- Go to the Audience page and click on ‘Create Saved Audience.’
- Here you can see the audience creation page of the Facebook ads manager.
- Plug in the demographics which you have figured out during mapping the customer’s data
- After this, you have to click on ‘Create Audience’ and now this saved audience will be visible on your audience page.
To use the saved audience, you need to click on ‘Use Saved Audience’ from the audience tab.
- 8 Best Ways to improve your Facebook Lead Ads
- 6 Ways to Facebook Ad Hacks to Master Your 2022 Campaigns
What Are the Factors to Target Facebook Audience?
Some factors will help you target the right audience. Being aware of these factors will improve the performance of your Facebook ad. Some of them are as follows:
If your business is focusing on a specific location, you can consider targeting people based on it. You can choose people from a specific country, pin code, city, etc. You can also target worldwide by focusing on regions like Europe.
If there is a need to focus on the audience of a certain language, you have to narrow or target deeply based on the specific language.
For example, if you are marketing a book that can only be read by people of a certain language, then you can’t target the audience generally. You have to narrow your audience based on the language.
Along with these factors, the interest and behavior of the audience are also important to consider while targeting. You should analyze and monitor the audience by considering their interest. If an individual is interested in a particular product or service, they will avoid skipping the ad and look at it.
You can analyze behaviors of the Facebook users based on the Facebook pixels. Pixel code can easily track the behaviors of the users based on their Facebook interactions. This will help in differentiating people. You can easily target an audience based on the interest and behavior that is relevant to your product or services.
Facebook users interact with many posts and share their views. The engagement might include likes, follows, comments, etc. It is one of the best and easiest ways that helps in figuring out the target audience suitable for your ads.
For example, if an individual has liked or followed your post or page, you can show your ads to them. It is because the users have shown their interest in the page through an interaction.
Why Should I Use Facebook Pixel?
Facebook Pixel has a great role in ad targeting. It gives an assurance to the marketers that the ads seen by the audience can be converted to buying customers. This has a significant role in improving Facebook ads and converting conversion into high rates.
Some of the benefits of a Facebook Pixel are:
- It helps in retargeting campaigns by tracking and showing targeted ads to people who have already visited your site.
- It has a great role in generating lookalike audiences from various data sources.
- Facebook Pixel helps in measuring and analyzing the effectiveness and performance of ads.
- Along with all these, it also helps in monitoring cross-device conversions. Through this, you will get to know about the audience using different devices.
Learn more about using Facebook Pixel from this blog.
How Do I Target the Right Audience on Facebook?
Audiences who have a strong interest and who come under the bottom of the funnel (BOFU) have a chance of getting high ROAS. Some of the examples that come under BOFU audience are:
- Users who have added products to the cart.
- The users who have already viewed the product pages.
- Existing or old customers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the types of Facebook Audiences?
1. Custom audiences
2. Lookalike audiences
3. Saved audiences
How to create a lookalike audience?
1. Go to the Audience page and choose to Create Audience.
2. Then click on Lookalike Audience.
3. Now you can see the options like custom audience and saved audience.
4. After choosing any one option, you have to fix the locations, and size of the audience.
How to target the right audience on Facebook?
There are some examples to target the right audience on Facebook,
1. Users who have added products to the cart.
2. The users who have already viewed the product pages.
3. Existing or old customers.
It is essential in targeting Facebook ads based on the audience for effective marketing and advertising. It’s important to know and understand various options on Facebook that help in growing sales.
Now, I hope this article helped you in understanding the essentials for Facebook ad targeting, you can use this in your future strategies. Share your suggestions and reviews on these features.